Former Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor opens up about considering suicide and surviving Togo terrorist attack

Former Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor opens up about considering suicide and surviving Togo terrorist attack
Former Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur striker Emmanuel Adebayor has openly discussed contemplating suicide.At the age of 16, the former Togo international moved to Ligue 1 side Metz in an attempt to make it in Europe.However, after struggling to support his family at home, Adebayor admitted to feeling like a failure and tried to take his own life.Emmanuel Adebayor has endured plenty of hardships throughout his life3
Emmanuel Adebayor has endured plenty of hardships throughout his life
“I was 16,’ he exclusively told the Daily Mail. “All I wanted to do was help my family out but they put huge pressure on me. I could not cope with it. When a family is poor, everyone is poor and there is huge solidarity. People will take a bullet for you. But when one makes it, it is like you owe everyone.“At Metz I was on maybe 3,000 a month. My family asked for a house worth 500,000. The club were tired of me because of my behaviour. I remember sitting on my bed one night and just thinking ‘What am I doing here? Nobody’s happy with me, so what is the point of living?’“There was a pharmacy below my apartment. I bought packet after packet of tablets. They did not want to sell it to me but I said it was for a charity in Togo. I made the preparations, I drank all the water. I was ready to go. Then I called my best friend at midnight.“He told me not to rush, that I have things to live for. ‘You have the potential to change Africa.’ I thought “You are a dream-seller and I am not buying any dreams right now.’ But he took me out of the moment. I thought God must be keeping for something.”The former Manchester City striker caused controversy with this controversial celebration against former side Arsenal in 20093
The former Manchester City striker caused controversy with this controversial celebration against former side Arsenal in 2009
Now playing for Istanbul Basaksehir, the 35-year-old has endured more than his fair share of hardships in life. Although his career has taken him from Monaco, London, Madrid and now to Istanbul, Adebayor has had to roll with plenty of devastating punches thrown at him by life.After his father died, Adebayor admitted to becoming the ‘captain’ of his own family. In 2007, as captain of the Togo national team, reports claimed he was threatening to pull out of an African Cup of Nations qualifier against Sierra Leone because of a row over bonus payments.Adebayor received death threats, but then scored twice in the game, only to be suspended by the Togo federation along with two of his team-mates.And then, in 2010, the Togo captain was forced to carry his creaming teammates into hospital when the national team bus was ambushed by terrorists travelling through Angola. Prior to the 2010 African Cup of Nations, the Togo national team bus was attacked by gunmen as it traveled through the Angolan province of CabindaSky News3
Prior to the 2010 African Cup of Nations, the Togo national team bus was attacked by gunmen as it traveled through the Angolan province of Cabinda
Of the attack, the former Crystal Palace striker said: “For 42 minutes, all we heard were gunshots. Left, right, front and back. I just heard friends shouting but we could not move or do anything.“As captain, I told everyone to call their families. I called my girlfriend and I told her ‘Listen, I am about to go.’“She said ‘Go where?’ She was pregnant. I said ‘If the child is born, if it is a boy, name him Emmanuel Jr. If it is a girl, name her Princess Emannuela. She said ‘What are you talking about?’ And then I just had to say ‘I will call you later if I am still alive.”

Liverpool’s failed title challenge summed up in one image

Bolton boss Phil Parkinson hit with two-match touchline ban and £3,000 fine after Leeds melee. Phil Parkinson has accepted a charge of misconduct from the FA Football Association. Parkinson
Bolton boss Phil Parkinson hit by two-match touchline ban


Manchester City: Spanish media claim up to EIGHT City stars

Sterling, who was in contention for the prize, won the Young Player of the Year award

South Korea, who face Norway in their third and final group match on Monday, have yet to find the net or earn a point. Germany Women vs Spain Women. Germany continued their perfect start to the World Cup as they claimed a narrow win over Spain in Group B.
Norway opens World Cup with 3-0 win over Nigeria | WOPULAR

How England lined up against Switzerland on February 6, 2008
Middlesbrough owner Steve Gibson fails in his bid to force

Current Premier League position – 1st

Hearts 1-2 Celtic Odsonne Edouard brace sees Hoops come from behind to complete historic treble treble admin May 25th, 2019 0 Comment Celtic have won the Scottish Premiership League Cup and Scottish Cup for the third season running Read More..
Hearts 1-2 Celtic: Odsonne Edouard brace sees Hoops come from

Villas-Boas’ final game in charge of Spurs was a 5-0 defeat at home to Liverpool

Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri 'didn't know anything' about Christian Pulisic transfer before signing was announced. "I didn't know anything about Pulisic on Tuesday.
Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri 'didn't know anything' about

Zidane replaces Solari as boss
Boca Juniors v River Plate kick-off: Copa Libertadores final

Pickford was caught up in the fracas when he went out for a drink in Sunderland

Thierry Henry apologised for his profane rant at the expense of Strasbourg defender Kenny Lala during Monaco's 5-1 Ligue 1 defeat Saturday, explaining what prompted it. The former Arsenal star was
'Your grandmother's a w***e!' - Thierry Henry - goal.com

Otamendi celebrates with his teammates as City win the 2017/18 Premier League title

Harry Redknapp insists Tottenham can close the gap on Manchester City and Liverpool with 'one or two' signings by: 161385360554578 — Talk Sport 1 May Harry Redknapp believes Tottenham are just one or two players away from closing the gap on Manchester City and Liverpool in the Premier League.
Harry Redknapp claims Tottenham Hotspur can close the gap on

Tottenham Hotspur fans have a new hero

Portugal have become the first team to win the Uefa Nations League after beating Netherlands in Sunday's final in Porto. Goncalo Guedes' second-half strike was all it took for the hosts to claim

Benitez could finally be given the funds he needs to strengthen his Newcastle side, who have won only twice this season

Vicente Iborra has left Leicester to join La Liga club Villarreal for an undisclosed fee. The midfielder, 30, moved to the Premier League side from Sevilla in the summer of 2017, making 37 appearances for the Foxes.
Leicester City transfer news: Vicente Iborra leaves club to

The FA Cup fourth round is live on talkSPORT

After their dramatic win in Paris last month, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's men host Barcelona this evening in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final. United's hero in Paris, Marcus Rashford, starts up front alongside Romelu Lukaku, with Jesse Lingard only a substitute.
Live Commentary: Manchester United 0-1 Barcelona - as it

The clubs’ rivalry grew when both were dominant forces with some of the best players such as Billy Bremner, George Best and Bobby Charlton

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is in the process of overhauling the entire Manchester United squad ahead of the new season. According to reports he is moving away from the transfer strategy of recent years where United splashed incredible money to land the likes of £89million Paul Pogba and £75million Romelu Lukaku.
Benfica wonderkid Joao Felix set to snub Manchester City and

Post a Comment

0 Comments